Sunday, January 3, 2010

Bridgett's Email

Thursday December 31st, 2009  3:43AM

You are all so sweet to be checking in on us. I am just now getting a minute to use my phone. What a perfectly crazy happy day it was though!

I finally got to hold each baby and, of course, cried each time. 
Oscar has the darkest hair

Oscar Steffen (3.7 lbs) and Lainey Mae (4.3 lbs) are doing really well and are next to each other in level 2 nursery, both breathing room air. Oscar is getting his feeds via an OG tube that goes from his mouth down into his belly (his 'suck isn't quite strong enough yet for a bottle) and our super star, Lainey, is drinking from a bottle and even latched on to my breast for a bit! I am pumping and have started to get lots of colostrum which is mostly going to Willie Grace, our smallest (3.4 lbs) who is still in level 3/NICU. She is also breathing on her own (since noon today) and is being fed like Oscar, via OG tube. If she has a good night tonight, she will move to level 2 tomorrow to make the trio complete. They are all in isolets to help keep their body temps up since they barely have any fat on them. Willie Grace has the most work to do, but all 3 are doing better than most 33 weeker babies. We are so proud!

Speaking of proud, Will has been spending almost all of his time holding and feeding the babies...very impressive for a guy who can't sit still. Ever. I think he's found his calling.. Or he's so tired of taking care of me, he's thrilled to take care of the babies instead. Really though he is such a natural and I am amazed at his ability to connect with each baby and his ability to hold and handle our tiny 3 & 4 lb. babies with such ease. He's unbelievable.

We have many pictures but haven't had time to download and send out yet...tomorrow, I promise!

They all look so different from each other and seem to favor the Steffen side more than the Davis side...but that's just day one. Oscar especially looks like his cousin Sam.

I really feel like I could explode with joy. What a wonderful thing this is to be a mommy of 3 instantly!

I can't thank you all enough for checking in on us and for helping me prepare for mommyhood in so many different ways.

Much love to you all,

The Davis 5

Now I get to pump again and then sleep, I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment